Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail for students and IMAP

From: "Sarazen, Daniel" <dsarazen () UMASSP EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:57:31 -0400

Quick Feedback -

One of our campuses is getting ready to let Microsoft manage its student
email systems. Because of the laws regulating higher education loans I
suggested the campus look to see if advertising would be used to help
defray Microsoft's costs and sure enough the students will be subjected
to advertising for student loans. While I don't think this is a big
deal, we encouraged our campus to place a disclaimer stating (in effect)
that the student is leaving the University web pages and that the campus
does not endorse the products the students will be exposed to.

PLEASE NOTE: Effective June 17 my office phone number has changed to
774-455-7558. My fax number is now 774-455-7550

:: Daniel Sarazen, Senior Information Technology Auditor
:: University Internal Audit
:: University of Massachusetts President's Office

:: 774-455-7558

:: 781-724-3377 Cell
:: 774-455-7550 Fax
:: Dsarazen () umassp edu <mailto:Dsarazen () umassp edu>

University of Massachusetts : 333 South St. : Suite 450 : Shrewsbury, MA
01545 : www.massachusetts.edu <http://www.massachusetts.edu/>