Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Adware/Spyware on Mac/OS X

From: "Spransy, Derek" <DSPRANS () EMORY EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 14:44:59 -0400

Our campus agreement with Symantec also gives us access to their managed Mac product.  It does have a web based
management console, but it's missing a lot (emphasis added) of features compared with the PC version.  The reporting
features of the two platforms aren't integrated either, and new definition releases only occur every week or so.  After
deploying the managed agent several months ago we've seen a lot of Win32 malware sitting around on Mac volumes.  A good
portion of those have been macro viruses and old e-mail attachments, but no Mac-centric malware yet.  AFAIK we've never
had a Mac infected with a virus or spyware, but we've certainly had compromises via SSH and other remote exploits.

-Derek

Derek Spransy
IT Security Lead
Emory College of Arts & Sciences