Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Adware/Spyware on Mac/OS X

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 14:44:44 -0400

Noah Abrahamson wrote:
Stanford uses Sophos for both Macs and PCs, distributing it freely to
all campus affiliates. On Windows platforms, it's both AV and
anti-malware. The Mac version is a good network citizen; it's detects
PC viruses. It also protects Macs against Office macro viruses, and
purports to protect against Trojan horses and worms, pedantics aside.
I would expect it to also protect against future Mac malware.

We've seen several instances of DNS changer trojans here on our Macs,
but it's unclear to me yet if Sophos has caught any of them.

Our experience with spamming from Macintosh machines is much as Morrow
describes; compromised user accounts, in our case all via SSH.

The problem of Macs being carriers for Office macro viruses is an
ongoing low-level issue here, so Mac antivirus applications do have
their uses.

--
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of
Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"Many candles can be kindled from one candle without diminishing it.
--Midrash.