Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Adware/Spyware on Mac/OS X

From: Noah Abrahamson <nbfa () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 11:14:03 -0700

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Kamnab Keo/FS/VCU <kkeo () vcu edu> wrote:
Can anybody recommend an anti-spyware utility for Mac/OS X?  We have looked
around but there is not much out there regarding Macs.

Stanford uses Sophos for both Macs and PCs, distributing it freely to
all campus affiliates. On Windows platforms, it's both AV and
anti-malware. The Mac version is a good network citizen; it's detects
PC viruses. It also protects Macs against Office macro viruses, and
purports to protect against Trojan horses and worms, pedantics aside.
I would expect it to also protect against future Mac malware.

I would highly recommend interested organizatinos to discus Sophos'
offerings with respresentatives from this company.

Noah Abrahamson
CRC Server Group
Sr CISA; Mac OS X Server Administrator