Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Adware/Spyware on Mac/OS X

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 11:48:45 -0400

Gene Spafford wrote:
This is the one response of actual malware being found on end-user
systems.  Things installed via an ssh break are different, as are
demonstrations of things on web sites that require automatically and
blindly running things downloaded.

I don't want to dismiss these so easily, given the common Macintosh
user's perception of safety in browsing ("Macs don't get viruses") and
interest in bright shiny objects ("Cool, a new video codec!") ;-)

We have had ongoing troubles here with DNS changer trojans, although
nothing sufficient to bring the network down a la Blaster, et al.

I grant you that from the networking side of things, these trojans are
Not Our Problem, but they certainly remain troublesome in the user
education arena.

Written from my shiny MacBook Pro, for the record...

--
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of
Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"There are risks and costs to any action. But they are far less than
risks and costs of comfortable inaction." -- John F. Kennedy.