Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Challenge/response questions?

From: "Schumacher, Adam J" <ADAMSCHUMACHER () CREIGHTON EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:23:38 -0500

We use security questions plus having access to a secondary email account or
cellphone capable of receiving text messages to reset passwords.  We provide
15 possible questions to choose from, of which they must select three (and
answer a random selection of 2).

Best practices for questions would involve things that aren't likely to
change over time (excludes "whats your favorite _____?" type questions),
things that aren't too easy to guess or find out, and have high entropy
(lots of possible answers).

Some examples of decent questions might include:
What is your oldest sibling's birthday?
What is the address of the first house you lived in?
What hospital where you born at?
What was the color of your first car?
What was the make/model of your first car?