Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Challenge/response questions?

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:24:37 -0500

How close does something like:   wmic useraccount where "domain=foobar"

come to getting what you want?

-ken

Leon DuPree wrote:
Does anyone have  sample script for Active Directory that would list
users and rights?

Be great if I could get some kind of error handling with it in case it
does not work on a server.

Let me  know if you have any questions why? (I am not interested in
rinventing the wheel :)

Leon DuPree
University of Michigan
LSA Intern

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Schumacher, Adam J
<ADAMSCHUMACHER () creighton edu <mailto:ADAMSCHUMACHER () creighton edu>>
wrote:

    We use security questions plus having access to a secondary email
    account or
    cellphone capable of receiving text messages to reset passwords.
     We provide
    15 possible questions to choose from, of which they must select
    three (and
    answer a random selection of 2).

    Best practices for questions would involve things that aren't
    likely to
    change over time (excludes "whats your favorite _____?" type
    questions),
    things that aren't too easy to guess or find out, and have high
    entropy
    (lots of possible answers).

    Some examples of decent questions might include:
    What is your oldest sibling's birthday?
    What is the address of the first house you lived in?
    What hospital where you born at?
    What was the color of your first car?
    What was the make/model of your first car?

    On 4/10/09 12:57 PM, "Witmer, Robert" <r.witmer () SNHU EDU
    <mailto:r.witmer () SNHU EDU>> wrote:

    > There must be a better way!  We have a customized single sign on
    solution and
    > are looking at self service password resets from a web page.
     Everything after
    > authentication has been worked out.  Currently we are thinking
    of using
    > challenge/response type questions to verify account ownership.
     However,
    > either most of the information is available on line (mother's
    maiden name =
    > genealogy sites) or includes personally identifying information
    (SSN last 4)
    > that we don't collect and don't want to use.
    >
    > Anyone have a better idea?  If not, anyone have better
    challenge/response
    > questions?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob

    sha1(

    Adam Schumacher
    Information Security Engineer
    Creighton University

    Don't share your password with ANYONE, EVER.  This means YOU!

    402-280-2383
    402-672-1732

    )

    = 1a72637cf94189654ab1a827520a5e41738f41b0

--
EIM Consulting
PO Box 320822

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems