Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Challenge/response questions?

From: Mike Waller <mwaller.distro () GMAIL COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:23:02 -0400

Many solutions these days let you build up a bank of standardized questions
and then you ask the users to provide answers to five or so. This will
sometimes include questions like mother's maiden, but when the users are
asked to verify their identity, the tool will present them with a random
sampling of 3 of their questions. In that case, knowing the answer to a
couple of the questions doesn't necessarily get someone else into the
account.