Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Challenge/response questions?

From: Dave Ferguson <gmdavef () GMAIL COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:20:48 -0500

You might take a look at this white paper.

http://www.fishnetsecurity.com/sites/com.fishnetsecurity/downloads/Forgot_Password_Best_Practices_v2.0.pdf

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Witmer, Robert <r.witmer () snhu edu> wrote:

 There must be a better way!  We have a customized single sign on solution
and are looking at self service password resets from a web page.  Everything
after authentication has been worked out.  Currently we are thinking of
using challenge/response type questions to verify account ownership.
However, either most of the information is available on line (mother’s
maiden name = genealogy sites) or includes personally identifying
information (SSN last 4) that we don’t collect and don’t want to use.

Anyone have a better idea?  If not, anyone have better challenge/response
questions?

Regards,
Bob