Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Challenge/response questions?

From: "j.price" <j.price () DOMAIL MARICOPA EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:37:20 -0700

Also remember that people are getting smarter and they don't answer the questions with the real information. I created standard answers to the questions that are asked most frequently and they have nothing to do with anything that can be associated with me. I encourage others to do the same.

Janet
Mike Waller wrote:
Many solutions these days let you build up a bank of standardized questions and then you ask the users to provide answers to five or so. This will sometimes include questions like mother's maiden, but when the users are asked to verify their identity, the tool will present them with a random sampling of 3 of their questions. In that case, knowing the answer to a couple of the questions doesn't necessarily get someone else into the account.