Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Challenge/response questions?

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:23:27 -0600

We have had a challenge/response system for about a year now and have a couple problems that are bigger than
anticipated.  We have standard questions and allow the users to supply some questions of their own.  We caution them to
avoid questions that could be answered with online research (on facebook, etc) and we remind them that their answers do
not have to be true or even make sense but they have to remember them (What's your mother's maiden name? Hitler  What
is your favorite car? Potato)

so.
Some "favorites" change over time so challenges that ask about a favorite are hard to answer after 6 months.

We've just recently given our ServiceDesk staff the ability to access a user's challenge responses so they can do
confirmations over the phone and accept approximate matches to the answers.

I can't find a reference right now, but I recently saw an confirmation approach that asks a bunch of T/F Y/N questions
and when a challenge is needed, the user has to respond correctly to most of a significant subset of those questions
("do you like cake better than pie?")

Bob Bayn     (435)797-2396     Security Team coordinator
"IT will NEVER ask for your password via email, honest!"
Office of Information Technology at Utah State University