Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Complexity and Aging

From: Ryan Fox <rfox () FINDLAY EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:04:31 -0400

Doug Markiewicz wrote:
This assumes brute force attacks are the only reason to implement
password expiration. Another argument for password expiration is the
notion that, over time, passwords get revealed unknowingly and
periodic changing helps to mitigate the misuse of those passwords. For
example, a user might accidentally type their password into the
username field which could have the side effect of logging that
password. Granted changing your password 30 days from that point won't
stop misuse immediately, but its perhaps a reasonable control? Maybe
not. It's an argument we tossed around though.

Thanks for noting that.  I completely forgot about that line of
reasoning in my post.

For us, we evaluated that and determined that we _should_ be catching
compromised accounts by other means, and the convenience of not expiring
passwords outweighed the additional security.  But everyone should
definitely make that determination for themselves.

Thanks,
Ryan