Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Complexity and Aging

From: "Schumacher, Adam J" <ADAMSCHUMACHER () CREIGHTON EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:16:14 -0500

Our policy requires:

Minimum 8 chars
At least 3/4 of the following
 uppercase chars
 lowercase chars
 numbers
 special chars
Past 10 passwords are remembered
Passwords must change every 180 days

Also important with this would be limiting the use of LM hashes on windows
machines.  If you use AD this can easily be done through group policy.  Or
you can require >14 characters in passwords (Windows won't use LM if the
password is 15 chars or more).

It helps to explain to users that every account is important to secure (yes,
including theirs) as it could be used to elevate privileges/impersonate the
user/affect others (for ex: by sending out tons of spam).  I think getting
users to understand the security implications of why we are asking them to
use strong passwords it the most likely way to get them to accept the
additional burden.