Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Complexity and Aging

From: Geoff Nathan <geoffnathan () WAYNE EDU>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:08:52 -0400

I'll second Roger and Valdis' comments about the religious nature of this debate. I tried to educate our auditors and
failed, and indeed they had expiry of ancient account passwords in mind as a driving force. So far there haven't been
many loud squawks, but we're only into our second 180 days. What has been troublesome is the fact that we're going to
have to limit the use of non-alphanumeric characters because of issues with Oracle, so we're actually dumbing down our
requirements.
We've also had a fight about whether the actual complexity restrictions should be on a public page or not (some folks
seem to believe it's a security risk). As long as we're going with 'industry standard' (minimum eight, at least one
cap, at least one non-letter, not the same as the last one, 180 days) we're not giving out 'the keys to the kingdom', I
think we're not usefully hiding anything, but it looks like I'm losing that fight too.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT,
Policy Coordinator
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)