Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FERPA and Student Computing Accounts

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 15:42:45 -0600

Our policy is "Nope".  Passwords are a credential identifying an individual, not a part of the student's academic
record.  Nobody gets passwords except the password owner.  With an authorization, we'll tell a parent what's in their
student's record, even show it to them, but we don't facilitate parents impersonating students on our system.  On the
other hand, we have lots of students who interrupt their studies for a two year stint of religious volunteer work and I
wouldn't bet against the possibility that some of those students give their passwords to their parents to facilitate
registration in advance of their return to school.

Bob Bayn     (435)797-2396     Security Team coordinator
"IT will NEVER ask for your password via email, honest!"
Office of Information Technology at Utah State University