Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Threat Discovery - antivirus scanning

From: "Daly, Douglas" <DDALY () NYMC EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 11:21:55 -0400

I couldn't open my original post from last week so I am reposting this.  Sorry if others were able to open it.  Thanks
in advance for your comments/suggestions. - Doug

We are looking to replace our Fortigate (it's being over-run - see my previous post on Fortigate). I am a fan of the
company's products but it seems that to replace this appliance in our environment would require their 3600 series and
the cost to purchase is going to be very high and the subscription service will increase our operations budget
significantly too. If we are going to have to move into the higher cost range, I want to be sure we are considering
other options.

Does anyone have any experience with other vendors they would recommend? We are specifically looking for anti-virus
scanning in the primary data stream to and from the internet. We would like it to scan as much of the data as possible
(http, smtp, etc) and it must not use the Trend Micro scan engine.

Regards,
Doug

Douglas Daly | Associate Director Technical Services | New York Medical College | Valhalla, NY 10595 | Office:
914.594.4961