Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FERPA and Student Computing Accounts

From: Barbara Torney <bt42 () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 23:12:48 -0400

Todd, I think that schools that want to do this generally create a special
portal for parents. The student gives parents their own credentials to get
into whatever the student authorizes.

We don't have such an option on our site, but our ebilling and payment
provider (Cashnet) does on their site.  A student can authorize parents to
access the site to see statements and make payments.  I believe after the
student sets an authorization indicater, he/she gives a code to the
parents, who then create their own account on the site.

Parents should never get the students own credentials, as I think everyone
has agreed so far.  And most of us couldn't do that anyway because we
don't have access to the password.

Regards, bat