Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: From Decentralized to Centralized

From: "Ness, Carl J" <carl-ness () UIOWA EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:18:10 -0500

I hate to say it, but this might become a reality for more campuses that are trying to get budgets under control.
Duplicated services are going to be looked down upon, and people that are very high up aren't going to care about
specialized support verses the central IT organization. If a university has a large (effective) central helpdesk, and 4
other little ones supporting this college or that college, which do you think will survive a nasty round of budget
cuts?

I know several colleagues at other schools that have been asked to justify why a specific unit or college is running
its own *insert system here* verses using the centralized service. Some of them have already lost the battle to keep
their own.

This is a dangerous time to be involved in kingdom building...

Carl