Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: From Decentralized to Centralized

From: "Consolvo, Corbett D" <cc72 () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:11:12 -0500

We are in the process of centralizing most server-type services but are not centralizing staff.  We felt that having
someone who works in a functional department providing support for the department's applications to be a pretty good
idea.  While we do not have a formal project structure for this in particular, we rolled out a formal but friendly risk
assessment project for the entire university as well as deploying a large central VMWare infrastructure.  While doing
risk assessments for departmental services we offered to provide hosting services so they would no longer have to worry
about a lot of the major pieces of the risk assessment such as physical security, backups, the larger BC/DR process,
etc.  The departments continue to support their own apps and are given all the appropriate rights to do so.  This seems
to be a very successful process in our environment.  We are not pursuing centralizing lab/desktop PC support any
farther than it already is (we have a very good central Helpdesk as well as departmental lab and desktop support).

Corbett Consolvo
Texas State University