Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: From Decentralized to Centralized

From: "Bowden, Zeb" <zbowden () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:25:00 -0400

To expound on your issue #1 - I think changing the funding source is an
excellent idea and it would be great to hear from any other universities
that have tried that. A good compromise or baby step may be to
centralize IT at the college and/or institute level first; let's call
this pseudo-centralized because we don't use the word pseudo enough
anymore. That may allow for enough localized support of IT folks
familiar enough with the business processes of the existing departments
within the college. It would also jumpstart the necessary knowledge
transfer between the few IT people in the department to the "few + more"
at the college level. This process would hopefully give upper management
enough information and background to make an informed decision on
whether or not to continue the centralization process for a given
college/institute. Additionally, it gets a more diverse group of people
thinking about business processes outside of their little area/dept. --
thinking optimistically, some commonalities would be identified and with
support of central IT at the university level there may be some large
efficiency and standardization gains here.

The knowledge transfer (from the few to more) is a critical reason for
going to the centralized (or pseudo-centralized) model. Without it,
we're getting killed by the costs associated with an IT person leaving
in these smaller IT departments. Even in today's job market, you're
probably talking a minimum of 2 months to replace a person and then
another 2-3 months for the replacement to become productive. In a
department with an IT staff of 2 - that's a 20+% reduction in work, and
I that's almost a best case scenario. I don't have any numbers to back
this up, but I think we see a pretty high turnover in our
de-central/departmental IT staff that makes this problem much more
costly than most realize.

I think you're absolutely right on point #4 about forcing cookie-cutter
systems on people -- so when I said "standardization" above I was that
was directed more at processes than systems. Eventually that could carry
over to systems and/or applications but there's never going to be a one
size fits all that works for everyone, and we can't ignore those people.

Zeb Bowden
IT Production Lead
Virginia Bioinformatics Institute