Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL Certificates

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:51:59 -0400

Steven Tardy wrote:
we've used IPSCA SSL certificates for a year or two.
mostly on test/internal/non-forward facing projects, main ssl pages are
still thawte.
the only problems we've had were easily solved by proper configuration.

We've used IPSCA certs for about four years, now, and have replaced several. We tend to
use Thawte for public servers where anyone may connect, but are increasingly using IPSCA
certs on internal gear, such as network gear, our NAC and several database web servers for
student/staff use, with no issues, overall.

Steven is right, for internal users you can ask them to import the root certs if needed,
the issuing process is easy, and free is good. My boss is tech contact for oberlin.edu,
our CIO is admin contact, and I alert them when requesting a cert so they'll watch for the
approval email and deal with it.

--
Celebrating the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth,
and the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"Wit is educated insolence. " - Aristotle (284-322 B.C.)