Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: "Secure Delete" for Windows?

From: "Don C. Miller" <donm () UIDAHO EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:55:03 -0800

Nathaniel, sorry for my delayed response. I could not find anything conclusive which says slack space is removed using the cipher wipe although there is some documentation which says this is the case. Is anyone else aware if this is the case?

Thanks,
Don

HALL, NATHANIEL D. wrote:

Don,

I use wipe the same way you describe. Do you know if it only wipes free space or if it also wipes slack space?

--

Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GCFW GCIA GCIH GCFA

Network Security System Administrator

OTC Computer Networking