Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: "Secure Delete" for Windows?

From: "Harris, Michael C." <HarrisMC () HEALTH MISSOURI EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:49:38 -0600

PGP desktop trial comes with a very nice secure trashcan "PGP Shredder"
and includes the function to securely delete what is in the trash as
well as overwrite slack space.  A short term (30 day limited) version of
the PGP file and drive encryption program is downloadable, see link
below,  and notably when the encryption expires the eraser/shredder
utility continues to work well.   I have not investigated the licensing
implications of continuing to use the PGP Shredder beyond noting that
the website says "After the 30-day trial, the resulting functionality is
licensed on a Perpetual basis solely for personal, non-commercial
purposes. Any attempt to disable these limitations or modify the
software is illegal and prohibited by law."  It works well for me on my
personal home machine and my laptop where I purchased the desktop
license.

http://www.pgp.com/downloads/desktoptrial/desktoptrial2.html

Mike