Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: recommendation for a cissp bootcamp

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 13:43:10 -0800

I haven't attended a "boot camp" so I can't recommend one--not that I've heard of any that are really worth the cash.
The recommendations you got for the Shon Harris book are solid and you should definitely be using that. Also, the
(ISC)2 Official Guide is a must. Yeah, it costs another $65 or more, but it is the official text. There are some
problems with some parts in the official text (specifically encryption), and they are corrected in the Harris text (I
have it on good authority). Use more than one source for your study and make sure it is a current edition. Heck, I also
used the "CISSP for Dummies" book when I was studying. It would sometimes boil complex concepts down to simple
statements and provide some clarity when I desperately needed it.

Also, check with your local chapter of the ISSA(www.issa.org). Our chapter does a CISSP study group three or four times
a year. I have presented Domain 1 several times in our groups and I think our study groups help the candidates. Local
study groups, especially if hosted by the local ISSA, can help you network and get to know others in the business, as
well as get you better prepared for the exam.

(ISC)2 also holds week-long CBK reviews (at least they used to), usually about a month or so ahead of a locally
scheduled exam. They are pricey, but worth it. I attended one in my area that was taught by a CISSP who was working for
an well-known international aerospace company. He was good and I passed. That is what mattered at the time. I still
have my CBK workbook all marked up and tagged--very handy quick resource.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Information Technology Division
WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98004
425-803-9724
gpace () cis ctc edu