Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: recommendation for a cissp bootcamp

From: "Perry, Jeff" <perry () KU EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:53:39 -0600

I would generally agree with the other responses.  We have sent staff to
two different boot camps run by major IT training houses.  Both offered
little more than glossing over the basics (with the occasional bright
spot).

A few years back we sent about 10 people to a CISSP bootcamp provided by
a well regarded training company.  At the end of the week most of the
staff commented that the information was extremely "beginner" and that
the trainer "just read the slides" (which is all there is time for in a
week).  We've had similar comments from attendees of other training
providers & trainers as well.

Considering that CISSP can be "a mile wide and a mile deep" I too
believe cccure.org and the Shon Harris books are some of the best
resources out there (and of course having the ISC2 official book is a
super reference). In most cases CISSP candidates have, or at least in
theory should have, a somewhat strong background in IT and thus the
"bootcamp" style training can be tedious.

We have since ceased recommending bootcamp style training for staff.
You mileage may vary of course and I would be interested if anyone has
found a provider that does do constantly good CISSP training.

I also agree that SANS GSEC is excellent and some of the bootcamps for
it are great.

Cheers,
Jeff Perry
Manager, Security Services and Operations
IT Security Office
The University of Kansas