Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:50:06 -0500

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:04:41 CST, John Kristoff said:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:18:55 -0600
"Julian Y. Koh" <kohster () NORTHWESTERN EDU> wrote:

dynamic subpartitions for our dorm/wireless/VPN IP ranges to limit
unclassifiable traffic to 512Kbps per host based on IP address.  But
overall it seems to be working quite well with that arrangement.

Does anyone just do that, per /32 (or something slightly larger),
limiters or dropping knobs and not bother trying to classify the app?

Locally, we just count octets per switch interface, and if the upstream
traffic on a dorm port goes over a certain limit per 24 hours, we apply a
rate limit sufficient for most use of the net (checking e-mail, web surfing)
since we do *not* limit downstream traffic.  Protocol doesn't enter into it
at all, just the octets, and we don't bother trying to do up-front filtering
of "illegal" content - they got the copyright lecture at orientation, and
if they choose to not listen, the vast majority of them are legally adults,
so if/when the RIAA or MPAA send a complaint, it's not our problem...