Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passwords & Passphrases

From: Eric Case <ecase () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:32:51 -0700

At 04:35 PM 11/20/2007 -0500, Andrea Beesing wrote:
I am sending you a link to an interim policy which includes
information about our current password standard. When we implemented
the password complexity rules we chose not to include password
aging/expiration.
It's very possible that this decision could be revisited in the
future as we refine our approach to data classification and security.

http://www.cit.cornell.edu/policy/interim/AuthenticationITR.html

     It says "The password must never be shared, written down, or
stored in electronic form."  Does that mean programs like Password
Safe can't be used to store an encrypted password?  What about the
authentication itself?  It stores the encrypted password in electronic form.
-Eric

Eric Case, CISSP  <ecase () Arizona edu>
Information Security Officer
College of Engineering   <http://www.Engr.Arizona.edu>
1127 E James E. Rogers Way Room 200
Tucson, AZ 85721-0020