Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passwords & Passphrases

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:54:18 -0500

On 11/19/2007 at 3:01 PM, in message <4741EBAD.2010903 () albany edu>, Martin
Manjak <mm376 () ALBANY EDU> wrote:

This is a tangential topic, but I was wondering if anyone on the list
was familiar with brute force tools that would work against web forms.
My concern is that without some kind of lock out policy, an account with
a 8 character password would be vulnerable to a brute force attack.

You may want to look at Brutus or THC Hydra if you want to run password guessing attacks against login forms. However,
I agree with Gary Flynn's response that this tactic isn't really very useful except to audit against really basic
dictionary based passwords or default passwords because of the time involved with a large number of attempts.

Zach

--

Zach Jansen
Information Security Officer