Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passwords & Passphrases

From: Andrea Beesing <amb3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:28:47 -0500

Eric,

This statement was the subject of some debate among staff who
participated in the drafting of the university policy, the final version
of which is still pending. In the current draft the wording has been
changed to better capture the intent:

"To avoid unauthorized access to IT resources, users must apply the following rules for using passwords associated with
a Cornell electronic identifier:

--Store the password in a secure location
--Do not collect passwords from others or store them anywhere"

Although not part of the policy per se, but discussed as an
implementation detail, is a set of recommendations for users who find it
necessary to store their own passwords somewhere for retrieval later.
The use of specific encryption tools could be included in the
recommendations.  I expect that as we approach completion of the policy
over the next several weeks we'll re-open this discussion. It' possible
that the above wording will be refined as well.

Andrea Beesing
Asst Dir, IT Security
Cornell Information Technologies
120 Maple Ave.