Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passwords & Passphrases

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:07:43 -0600

At 07:50 PM 11/19/2007, Gene Spafford put fingers to keyboard and wrote:

On Nov 19, 2007, at 8:32 PM, Peters, Kevin wrote:

Here is my question - does anyone have the data on how many times a hack (attack) has occurred associated to breaking
the "launch codes" from outside of the organization?  The last information I gleaned from the FBI reports (several
years ago) indicated that 70 percent of hackings (attacks) were internal.

My most recent experience with intrusions has had nothing to do with a compromised password, rather an exploit of
some vunerability in the OS, database, or application.
I track these things, and I cannot recall the last time I saw any report of an incident caused by a guessed password.
Most common incidents are phishing, trojans, snooping, physical theft of sensitive media, and remote exploitation of
bugs.

FWIW, we've had our share of incidents that appear to have been caused by brute
force attacks on passwords.  Likely this was done via ssh.  We have also seen
our own hosts trying to brute force passwords via ssh.

It's also somewhat common in viruses to have a built-in password list
as an attack vector.

Depending on your password infrastructure, either of these could lead
to a more serious incident.

People devote huge amounts of effort to passwords because it is one of the few things they think they can control.

Strong passwords are simply one part of an effective security plan.
IMO, which I totally concede carries nowhere near the weight of
Gene's, it would be a mistake to take other practical security
steps, and ignore the password's potential weakness.

Picking stronger passwords won't stop phishing.  It won't stop users downloading trojans.  It won't stop capture of
sensitive transmissions.   It won't bring back a stolen laptop (although if the laptop has proper encryption it
*might* protect the data).   And passwords won't ensure that patches are in place but flaws aren't.

See the above.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.