Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA timestamps off

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 18:03:02 -0400

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:50:10 BST, Chris Edwards said:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 06:50:42 EDT, David Taylor said:

|  I'm wondering if they are just going by the name of the file without even
|  verifying the contents of the file.

Quite possibly.  However it seems a unlikely the user is using P2P to
share out something legit with a filename of "Harry Potter Stone.mp3".

Make it to any SF/fantasy convention, and look around for the filkers.
They'll likely have something like that handy, and be willing to play you
a few bars - I've never met a filker who wasn't *always* looking for any
excuse to show off their new material. :)

Or it's the audio portion of a YouTube clip where they rant their opinions
about the movie.

Or....

Moral: Just because *you* can't conceive of a legit use of a filename doesn't
mean that somebody isn't engaging in quite proper "fair use".

Guess I missed the B+B episode featuring P2P filesharing...

I meant the "He he you said <word>" looping they could get caught in - one
would say the word, the other would alert on it.  Similarly, you get one group
injecting files, the other flagging the same files...