Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Survey of Administrative Rights security policy at peer universities

From: "Davis,William" <William.S.Davis () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 11:42:41 -0600

I am defending our security policy that has been in place for 2+ years that limits Administrative Rights to IT staff
only within our department of Housing & Dining Services and am looking for statistics and comments from other peer
universities on their policy for use of Administrative Rights by faculty/staff.

If anyone would be willing to share any information with me I would be very grateful.

I am most interested in knowing:
1. Do you permit or deny Administrative Rights to general faculty/staff?
2. What constitutes and exception to this policy?
3. What infections/incidents, or lack thereof, have you experienced?
4. If a security incident occurred, what was the cost as a result?
5. If you permit Admin Rights, what additional security measures did you put in place or depend on?
6. What special strategies/education/training do you use to either help deny or permit admin access for those who seek
exceptions to this policy?

If you prefer, you can reach me off line at William.S.Davis () colostate edu.

Thanks!

-Bill
Network Security Administrator
Colorado State University