Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Timestamps Off

From: "Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:01:21 -0400

With fear of pulling this conversation off topic, I was under the
impression that if you were NATing (unless you had a one for one for the
whole network) machines could not be publicly reachable servers.  If the
IP address to reach a specific machine is not specifically assigned how
does an Internet client reach them?

Couple that with the wording on every DMCA notice I have seen "a
computer on your network is making infringing material available for
download" (not "has downloaded").

So how/why are you schools that are NATing getting these notices? I
completely understand that your students can continue to download but
how can they be the source?  Is it that they are "offering it to the
world" when they login to their P2P network but they never really are
reachable. That sounds more plausible.

And then I would have the concern that they can download to their hart's
content but can never be found which IMHO is not a good "educational"
perspective.

Thank you,
Gregory R. Scholz
Director of Telecommunications