Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: pointsec vs. Guardian Edge

From: "Lovaas,Steven R" <Steven.Lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:03:32 -0700

One thing to remember about encryption in Vista... version 1.1 of the PCI DSS (September 2006) requires encryption of
credit card data with an encrypting utility that does *not* rely on access control mechanisms in the OS. This was
presumably designed to rule out EFS, but would likely also apply to Vista's full-disk encryption.

The actual excerpt:

3.4.1 If disk encryption is used (rather than file- or column-level database encryption), logical
access must be managed independently of native operating system access control mechanisms (for example, by not using
local system or Active Directory accounts). Decryption keys must not be tied to user accounts.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/pci_dss_v1-1.pdf

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State University