Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: pointsec vs. Guardian Edge

From: Steve Brukbacher <sab2 () UWM EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:22:41 -0600

Hey,
We looked at that but it kept killing the McAfee framework service.
Have you run into this issue?

--
Steve Brukbacher, CISSP
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee

Clifford Collins wrote:
Paul and others,

We are preparing to roll out HDLock from Authenex. It requires the use
of both a USB token and a password. Once you are authenticated the
non-Windows O/S portions of the disk are decrypted. We are also running
their key escrow server to allow us to recover in the event either
factor is lost/forgotten or the laptop returns without the person it was
issued to. Let me know if you want more details.

Clifford A. Collins
Network Security Administrator
Franklin University
201 South Grant Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43215
"Security is a process, not a product"

 >>> pdestefa () WILLAMETTE EDU 1/12/2007 8:09:44 PM >>>
Hello Steve,

Good question.  This technology seems to be evolving, still.  We are
currently looking into the available solutions, also.  I'll be sure to let
you know what we decide.

We're interested in using two factor authentication for the whole disk
encryption.  So, I would like to hear if anyone else who responds is doing
that, as well.

I also just wanted to mention the product we think looks promising
and has been recommended to us:  SafeGuard from Utimaco.  Anyone with
experience using that?

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul DeStefano, WITS Network Services Consultant
Willamette University