Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: pointsec vs. Guardian Edge

From: "Schmidt, Eric W" <erschmid () IUPUI EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:25:22 -0500

The IU School of Medicine and our partner hospital, Clarian Health
conducted a joint evaluation of several laptop encryption solutions over
the past few months.  We chose Pointsec because of the ease of
deployment and centralized management, the transparency of the
encryption to the user, and the fact that the software throttles itself
during the initial disk encryption based on the current use of the
laptop.  It works with the Windows login so our users only have to login
once.  It also works with the single sign-on solution Clarian is
implementing.

A big reason we chose a whole disk encryption product over a product
that provides folder and file encryption is we wanted to take as much of
the security decision out of the hands of the user as possible.  If an
incident ever occurred where a laptop was lost or stolen, we wanted to
be able to stand up in front of Channel (you fill in the channel number)
and say "the laptop was lost but the data was completely protected
because the entire hard drive was encrypted" rather than "the laptop was
lost and the user was instructed to place all files that needed
protection in the proper folder".

Eric W. Schmidt, CISSP, CISM
Chief Security Officer
Indiana University School of Medicine