Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Product request - Enterprise whole disk encryption for laptops

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:44:51 -0500

At 09:45 AM 7/17/2006, Linda Pruss put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
I'm testing Windows Vista bitlocker technology.  It will check for tampering of boot files and encrypt the system
volume.  It prefers to work with a TPM 1.2 hardware module on the motherboard for key storage and tamper protection,
but can also work without one (minus the boot file integrity checking).

Speaking of the TPM 1.2 module...does anyone have a machine that they
have tested on?  I don't, and when I looked at Dell, they had a couple
laptops with a 1.1 module.  Now they have one laptop with a TPM 1.1b.
They did have some tablets, but I could not find the version of the
TPM chip they are using.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.