Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Product request - Enterprise whole disk encryption for laptops

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:33:14 -0400

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:50:40 EDT, Harold Winshel said:

An approach that is very appealing to me is that
of requiring users to make a case for their need
to store sensitive data locally and to get formal
permission to do so.

If your site policy was set up (well/fortuitously, pick one), "store sensitive
data locally" is only a special case of an already-existing "handle sensitive
data" and it's a slam-dunk.  However, I'd be amazed if anybody on this list got
that lucky....