Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Product request - Enterprise whole disk encryption for laptops

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:50:40 -0400

I agree that there are probably many more computers that have sensitive data on them than is necessary for business reasons. And that on a lot of those machines the users probably don't even realize what's on their computers.

An approach that is very appealing to me is that of requiring users to make a case for their need to store sensitive data locally and to get formal permission to do so. I think this would do a few things. One, it would have an inhibiting effect on those who want to store sensitive data but don't have a strong case for it and, two, it would bring to the attention of the IT staff those who do store sensitive stuff, so that the IT staff can keep a closer watch on those users.

Harold

At 09:18 AM 7/17/2006, Roger Safian wrote:
At 01:44 PM 7/15/2006, Charlie Prothero put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
>Roger's comment on risk management brings to mind the question of whether or not >someone should even be allowed to put sensitive data on a laptop, though this is >a bit off-topic vis-à-vis this discussion. Citrix, MS Terminal Services, VNC

Personally I think the risk of sensitive data on a laptop, is only slightly
larger that the same data on the network.  They both potentially have the same
risk of data lose through a network breach.  The laptop is easier to steal.
In most cases the business needs outweigh that risk, especially if the data is
encrypted.

The issue I see is does *any* machine need access to sensitive data?  Speaking
just from my experience I'd say that there are plenty of machines with sensitive data that are both not secure AND do not need the data on them in the first place.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.

Harold Winshel
Computing and Instructional Technologies
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Rutgers University, Camden Campus
311 N. 5th Street, Room B36 Armitage Hall
Camden NJ 08102
(856) 225-6669 (O)