Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Product request - Enterprise whole disk encryption for laptops

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:44:37 -0400

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:44:04 EDT, Valdis Kletnieks said:
2: The standard 96 printables have 3.5 bits *max*.

6.5. I'm an uncaffienated idiot.  Much of the following therefore
isn't quite right.  A 16 character passphrase is still *potentially*
much better than DES, but likely in fact isn't.

These need to be *seriously* considered when contemplating desktop/laptop
encryption - I've seen all too many sites totally fail to understand this...

Still true.