Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA (Ares and other)

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:51:41 +1200

There are two different cases for us.  For residence we have simply
banned p2p (with the exception of skype) we use packet fence to enforce
this policy and it works well for us.  Students bitch a bit but the only
ones with a sustainable argument are those who want to use BT to
download game updates.  [I'm not directly responsible for the resnet
thank heavens].

For the campus network we have a very strict policy about copyright
infringement which is rigorously enforced by me :(  Sigh...  We do not
ban p2p application (with the exception of Kazaa because of its
association with spyware) but anyone observed (by snort) using p2p apps
for more than a token time period gets a letter setting out the
university's copyright policy and consequences of breaching it.  The
letter also tells the user that if their use is legitimate then they can
let us know what they are doing and how it fits with their job/studies.

We did actually have one group who had a legit use for Limewire -- they
were researching software piracy and using Limewire to see how many of a
set list of software titles they could locate.

The other group who get exemptions are folk using BT to download legit
software (these are mostly IT staff and a few academics in CS).

I now send about one letter a week and usually that is all it takes.  We
have  never had to invoke disciplinary measures.  Most offenders fall
into one of two categories "Oh, I've just arrived and did not know about
the policy" and the "I had the kids in yesterday afternoon and parked
them in front of the computer while I was doing ...."

Ares has never really caught on here, we see it on the resnet
occasionally -- two alerts before their network access disappears, but
I've seen very little on the campus network.

Scholz, Greg wrote:
Our largest problem so far this year has been Ares file sharing and it
has been a substantial one. We are looking to find out what other
schools are doing to affect Ares on the network:

1)       Has Ares been a problem for you this year?

2)       Do you block Ares?

3)       Do you shape P2P?

4)       Do you block P2P?

5)       Any other /technical/ solution for combating the illegal use
and/or network impact of P2P and/or Ares?

6)       When did you start doing any of the above?

7)       Any numbers you are willing to share? (if I share any off list
comments back to list I will merge them to keep them unidentifiable)

a.       Violations?

b.       Total on campus student count (for ratio)?

/Thank you,/

/Gregory R. Scholz/

/Lead Network Engineer/

Information Technology Group