Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA (Ares and other)

From: Michael Bean <BeanM () STMARY EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:45:02 -0500

1) The Ares/Galaxy network is a small portion of our overall problem
mainly with clients that connect to the Gnutella network.  Last I knew
you could use Ares to connect to Gnutella.
2) We block all P2P applications as well as file transfers using IM.
We use an X505 from Tippingpoint.  It is a combined firewall and IPS.
3)See number 2
4)See number 2
5)We use the IPS function of the X505 to block the Internet traffic and
then quarantine the user for a period of one hour.  Any time the try and
access the internet the get a web page that describes way they are
blocked and mitigation steps to prevent further quarantine as well as
the helpdesk number.  It's really a slap on the hands as there is no
other punishment except for loss of Internet.  Initially we saw lots of
hits but as students learned the system would catch them everytime and
take their internet away they behaved.
7)
   A) in a month and a half we've had 760 instances of quarantining,
this includes the same person multiple times,  no DMCA notices
   B) approx. 400 day students and approx. 200 resident students

Michael H. Bean
PC Technician
Information Services
University of Saint Mary
4100 South 4th Street
Leavenworth, KS  66048
682-5151 ext. 6999
Email:  BeanM () stmary edu

"Scholz, Greg" <gscholz () KEENE EDU> 9/18/2006 3:43 PM >>>

Our largest problem so far this year has been Ares file sharing and it
has been a substantial one. We are looking to find out what other
schools are doing to affect Ares on the network:
1)       Has Ares been a problem for you this year?
2)       Do you block Ares?
3)       Do you shape P2P?
4)       Do you block P2P?
5)       Any other technical solution for combating the illegal use
and/or network impact of P2P and/or Ares?
6)       When did you start doing any of the above?
7)       Any numbers you are willing to share? (if I share any off list
comments back to list I will merge them to keep them unidentifiable)
a.       Violations?
b.       Total on campus student count (for ratio)?

Thank you,
Gregory R. Scholz
Lead Network Engineer
Information Technology Group