Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA (Ares and other)

From: Rick Coloccia <coloccia () GENESEO EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:27:47 -0400

Yeah, we were just trying to allow the unclassified stuff while
aggressively restricting the p2p stuff.  I may need to take that route.

-Rick

At 04:59 PM 9/18/2006, Roger Safian wrote:
At 03:53 PM 9/18/2006, Rick Coloccia put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
>>2)       Do you block Ares?
>
>I try - we have a packetshaper, but it's doing very poorly with ares.

Just a FYI, I asked our engineer about this particular point, and
he reminded me that we agreed to put all the unclassified traffic
from the dorms, which includes Aries, into it's own queue.  It's
no longer a problem.  FWIW, the BitTorrent stuff also falls into
this same profile.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.

--
Rick Coloccia
Network Manager, State University of NY College at Geneseo