Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA (Ares and other)

From: Rob Whalen <rwhalen () STMARYS-CA EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:34:11 -0700

response below...
Scholz, Greg wrote:

Our largest problem so far this year has been Ares file sharing and it
has been a substantial one. We are looking to find out what other
schools are doing to affect Ares on the network:

1)       Has Ares been a problem for you this year?

2)       Do you block Ares?

3)       Do you shape P2P?

4)       Do you block P2P?

5)       Any other /technical/ solution for combating the illegal use
and/or network impact of P2P and/or Ares?

6)       When did you start doing any of the above?

7)       Any numbers you are willing to share? (if I share any off
list comments back to list I will merge them to keep them unidentifiable)

a.       Violations?

b.       Total on campus student count (for ratio)?

_________________________

/Thank you,/

/Gregory R. Scholz/

/Lead Network Engineer/

Information Technology Group

Keene State College

(603)358-2070

--Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

(author unknown)

All,
We have implemented a Copysense device on our network for this purpose.
After installing during the trial period we found 60 - 80% of our
traffic was illegal file sharing. Now we have our bandwidth back. The
device was easy to install and maintain. It also has many reports such
as top bandwidth hogs, even down to what copyrighted material is trying
to be downloaded or uploaded.
There are even some subsidies to help you purchase. We got one for
$4,000 from Sony. The best part is that we have taken our network back
from the hogs.
Rob  Whalen, Network Engineer
Saint Marys College of California