Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Peer to Peer Blocking

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:58:36 -0500

Jason Richardson wrote:

We're also using a Packeteer packet shaper.  We don't squeeze the P2P
traffic down to nothing but we do throttle it back considerably.  The
copyright complaints haven't stopped but they have slowed down
substantially from last year and the year before that.  I don't know how
much of that we can attribute to packet shaping and how much should be
attributed to a change in tactics by the copyright holders and their
agents.

Our situation is similar. There always appears to be a
fair amount of unknown, unclassified traffic that gets
by unscathed however.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer