Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: number of IT security staff

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:28:30 -0700

I will try to respond to the questions a little more specifically on
behalf of EDUCAUSE as requested.

Of particular interest will be the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service
(www.educause.edu/coredata) 2003 Summary Report
(http://www.educause.edu/apps/coredata/reports/2003/) which has a
chapter on "IT Organization, Staffing, and Planning."  For example, on
page 5 it reports the average number of FTE Staff for IT Security in the
Central IT Organization as follows:

All Colleges/Universities               1.0
Doctoral/Research                       2.6
Master's Colleges/Universities  0.6
Baccauleate Colleges            0.3
Associate's Colleges            0.4
Other Colleges/Universities             1.6

It may also be worth noting the number of staff for IT Policy:

All Colleges/Universities               0.5
Doctoral/Research                       0.9
Master's Colleges/Universities  0.3
Baccauleate Colleges            0.2
Associate's Colleges            0.3
Other Colleges/Universities             0.9

The EDUCAUSE Center for Applied Research Research Report (from a survey
conducted in April 2003 - see
http://www.educause.edu/LibraryDetailPage/666?ID=ERS0305C) revealed the
following:

-22.4% institutions of higher education have a chief IT security officer
or equivalent;
-90% of CSO's work at doctoral extensive or intensive institutions;
-95 percent of the IT security officers report to a senior administrator
in the IT office, including 50 percent who report to the CIO;
-respondents were asked when their institution created the IT security
officer position and there is a clear, steady pattern of growth
beginning in 1994;
-the Director of Networking had day-to-day responsibility for security
at over 30% of the institutions

The entire report is available to ECAR subscribers.  For a list of
subscribing ECAR organizations, see
http://www.educause.edu/ECARSubscribingOrganizations/957  The key
findings are publically available at
http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ecar_so/ers/ERS0305/ekf0305.pdf
Additionally, you may want to refer to the ECAR Research Bulletin on
"High Stakes: Strategies for Optimal IT Security Staffing" available to
subscribers at http://www.educause.edu/LibraryDetailPage/666?ID=ERB0406

Regards,

-Rodney

Rodney J. Petersen
Policy Analyst & Security Task Force Coordinator

EDUCAUSE
1150 18th Street, N.W., Suite 1010
Washington, D.C.  20036
(202) 331-5368 / (202) 872-4200