Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Preparing for Default Deny Firewall

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:38:41 -0800

One small note: You should allows incoming ICMP packets of type 3 code 4
( Fragmentation needed but no frag. bit set ).  These packets are needed
for Path Maximum Transmission Unit Discovery (PMTUD).  PMTUD is enabled
by default in Windows XP and Server 2003.  If you do not allow these
packets in, it may cause problems for some people viewing your school's
website or accessing other services.

Steven