Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: (Q) wireless networking classroom cheating examples

From: "David L. Wasley" <david.wasley () UCOP EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:29:45 -0700

Yes. I think of this as "ethical behavior" -- just because you can doesn't mean you should or that it's OK to do so.

We spend so much time and energy trying to build fences around things we approve of, or don't.  Speed bumps, DRM, and
now Faraday caged classrooms.  Who is spending time trying to instill truly ethical behavior?  (Certainly not our
leaders in the White House... ;-)

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

        David

PS: Mac laptops can be base stations too so a Faraday cage might not be effective.  Also, optical pt-pt works just fine
in a classroom.
-----