Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: (Q) wireless networking classroom cheating examples

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:24:33 -0400

Interesting thread you guys have going here and I thought I would throw in
a couple of stray thoughts.

ECPA combines both telephonic and electronic communications; with
electronic communications added to it, it is a revision of the "wiretapping
act" of late 1960's pursuant to the Katz decision in which the Supreme
Court determined that law enforcement required a warrant before they could
tap a phone line for content.

Case law so far suggests that ECPA applies only on networks that provide
service "to the public;" i.e. it did not apply to a "private" network such
as is owned and operated by a private corporation (in this case Anderson
consulting.)

While this case leaves open the question of whether ECPA applies to
colleges and universities (probably does, in particular for residential
students and many other communications, but it is possible that a court
could distinguish that population from employees...hard to tell, would need
circumstances of case and know something about particular court or judges
before one could speculate more...), it would seem quite a stretch to
suggest that it applies to the circumstances of an academic institution
attempting to control a particular classroom in pursuit of its mission,
although in case law stranger things have happened.

Be that ambiguity as it may, academic codes of integrity might indeed go a
long in addressing this issue if for no other reason than to remind people
that while technology may make it easier to break law or policy, ease does
not necessarily mean law or policy -- or for that matter integrity -- go
away.

Thanks,

Tracy

.