Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: (Q) wireless networking classroom cheating examples

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:38:00 -0700

Stanislav Shalunov wrote: "But the problem is not technological..."

I agree. Once you start down the road of worrying out electronically mitigated cheating you need also worry about cell
phones, Instant/Short messaging, IR beaming, etc.

That said, I wouldn't think the FCC rules would prohibit jamming transmissions as long as the jamming was confined to
private property. However, in the health sciences case we have to be particularly careful to avoid electromagnetic
interference that might impair medical instruments and information systems. Mobile devices are really taking off in
health care.

Jere Retzer